Five days. More than 50 events. Multiple venues across the town. Bude’s new literary festival won’t disappoint. Get ready to be inspired and fascinated by authors and poets, learn about Bude’s literary history, have a go at calligraphy, bookbinding and illustration, learn how to write comedy and find a publisher, help launch a community book – and then sit back and relax, enjoying local music, open-air theatre and top-notch comedy.
Local writers and performers will be rubbing shoulders with award-winning novelists, illustrators, comedians, poets and performers. Expect to see Raynor Winn, Patrick Gale, Satish Kumar, Emily Hamilton, Henry Normal, Julie Sykes, Andy Parsons, Natalie Fée, Rob Auton and Jim Causley, plus many more.
Local schools will also benefit from free workshops by renowned writers, and while many events are free, those with a ticket price are set at a modest rate.
Some of the highlights of the events for children :
- Emily Hamilton - Craft Workshop & Storytime for 3-6yr olds - This workshop for 3-6yrs and their families will explore a joyful uplifting new picture book called ‘Thank You for the Little Things’ by Caryl Hart which she has illustrated. It is about the little things that make us smile.
- Afra Kingdon - ‘The Little Mermaid and The Great Big Factory’ - A Marine Conservation Story Book - Afra Kingdon and her donkey have been litter-picking on Bude’s beaches. It was there they met a peculiar creature: a mermaid on a serious mission to clean up our oceans. Come join them – if you hear a loud bray and a soft, velvety nose pick-pocket you, you’ll know you’re there!
- Storytelling for 3-5yr olds with Rachel & Becky - Rachel & Becky will share 30 minutes of open air stories, singing, signing & fun!
- Julie Sykes - ‘Woodland Magic’ (for 6-9yrs) - Come and meet Julie Sykes, author of the Woodland Magic series. Discover the inspiration behind the books and learn more about rewilding, and how you can help the environment, with a craft-based activity. Suitable for children aged 6-9.
- Ellie Jackson - ‘Duffy’s Lucky Escape’ and other stories for 3-6 year olds - Environmental author, Ellie Jackson reads one of her incredible true Wild Tribe Heroes books. Learn all about the animals involved, discover what issues they are facing and be inspired about what we can all do to help! Books will be available to purchase for £8 each and Ellie will sign copies of all books if you have any at home to bring in.